Veggie (Vegan) Hot Dogs
1/2 of a 15.5 oz. can of chickpeas (about 3/4 cup or so) (I drained and rinsed these good to get rid of some of the salt.)
2 Tbsp soy sauce (Use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. This is Soy Sauce without added salt.)
2/3 cup water
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion (or more)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp salt (I left the salt out because the canned chickpeas have more salt than needed.)
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup + 3 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten. (You should be able to find “Red Mill” brand in your local grocery store.
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast.
(This is not “bread type yeast”; get this from your local health food store. It contains vitamin B12 and adds a cheese-like flavor.)
(The “Dairy Godmother” blog gives these directions.)
1. Combine in blender all ingredients EXCEPT Vital wheat gluten and nutritional yeast. Liquefy!!!! (Added note. Another blogger recommends using cold water only as the Gluten activates with warm water and is hard to form. I agree! I had fun trying to make hot-dog shapes with gluten that was very spongy.)
2. Combine this with the vital wheat gluten and nutritional yeast in a bowl by hand or in a mixer with a bread hook. If doing by hand, knead until it no longer sticks to the bowl and is well combined. (Using your clean washed hands is easier and less dishes.)
3. Dump out and pat into pizza shape. Cut into 8 equal slices, like cutting a pizza. (See picture)
4. Roll each slice into a hot dog shape and roll each on their own small piece of parchment paper (this will give you a good shapely hot-dog.) then roll it up in a small piece of foil and crimp the ends and fold them over. You may try to make 10 or even 12 from this recipe if you don’t want fat dogs.
5. Steam your foiled Dogs for 45 Minutes. (I started to use a smaller pot, but changed to the suggested canner plan. Simply take your canner and turn the wires jar holder upside down in the bottom. Add water (I added hot water because I didn’t want to wait) – make sure water level is below the top of the upside down wire jar-holder. Place your foiled dogs on top of the wire and cover. When water starts steaming, let go for 45 minutes.
6. BE CAREFUL STEAM WILL BURN YOU QUICKLY! (I know this from experience.). Shut off heat, open lid and with tongs, take out your foil wrapped dogs. Unwrap and see your success. (I made mine a little log. They equal 2 hot-dogs.)
You can eat then right away or just leave some in the foil wraps and freeze.
Thank You Dairy-GodMother! THESE ARE DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to get a first post out there – finally! My goal with this blog is to record my experiences towards “LIVIN’ SIMPLY”! What do I mean by “Livin’ Simply”? Well, I believe it involves the whole arena of life; spiritual, physical, and emotional.
Practically it means a lot of things..
- Downsizing The Physical STUFF – getting rid of the unnecessary STUFF that we’ve accumulated and getting down to basic needs!
- Downsizing the Emotional STUFF – getting rid of the emotional and stressful clutter. It involves answering the questions of what is most important in life and getting rid of the clutter of the unimportant to make more room for the important.
- Downsizing the Spiritual STUFF – getting rid of the baggage of “Americanized” spirituality and discovering the spiritually important. What does Jesus say is most important? What have we added on to true spirituality? How have we allowed our culture to distort true the true spiritual life. Then, making appropriate changes in spiritual disciplines.
Granted! This is a big project. What have we done so far on this intentional journey?
- Pam and I have slowly changed our diet and lifestyle habits to a Whole-Foods-Plant-Based diet that supports the stewardship of our bodies, provides abundant health and supports our stewardship of the planet. We have (together) lost over 100 pounds of weight. I am no longer on blood-pressure medicine. Our cholesterol levels demonstrate that we are now immune from heart-disease. We are fighting the dangers of cancer and diabetes. We have added energy, better self images, and so much more.
- We are downsizing our physical stuff. I have identified at least 1/2 of my library of books that need to find a new home. I am working towards my library being completely digital. We have hauled a number of loads of stuff to “Good-Will”. We are also sharing our home and lives with a friend in order to be more community minded.
- We are also intentionally asking the hard questions about what real emotional health comes from. We are discovering that simplicity is the answer.
The one lesson we’ve learned from our journey towards “Livin’ Simply” is that one area of life effects all others. The physical, the emotional and the spiritual are connects. Improve one and the others also improve.
We’ll have more to say about the details of our journey as time goes on.
Won’t you join us?
Pete and Pam
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!